Do I Need Planning Permission For a Fence?

One of the first questions you may have when you’re thinking of putting up a new fence is whether or not you need planning permission.

You will need planning permission for a new fence in England if it meets any of the following criteria:

  • the fence is over 2 metres (6.6 feet) tall
  • the fence is over 1 metre (3.3 feet) tall and next to a road or footpath
  • you’re prevented by a planning condition or an Article 4 Direction (restrictions on permitted development rights made by the local planning authority). This type of condition could apply to open plan or shared surface developments.
  • your house is a listed building (find out if your house is listed)
  • the fence forms a boundary with a listed building or its attached land (curtilage).

All fencing heights include the addition of trellis, if you add this to the top of your fence you could try this out.

These criteria may vary depending on your location, so you should always check with your local planning authority. You should also inform your neighbour(s) if the fence will be on their property’s boundary – this simple courtesy can head off any disputes later on.

What could happen if I don’t get planning permission for my fencing?

Your local authority could issue an enforcement notice to take down any fence or gate which doesn’t comply with permitted development and which hasn’t obtained planning permission.

Enforcement notices can be issued within four years of the date that the fence or gate was put up; after this period there is very little risk of action being taken. If your neighbours don’t raise any objections and the local authority doesn’t notice within this time, it’s unlikely that an enforcement notice will be served.

That said, we’d always recommend that you obtain planning permission when required to avoid a potentially stressful and expensive situation developing later.

Is planning permission required to take down or alter a fence?

In ordinary circumstances you don’t need permission to take down, alter, improve or maintain an existing fence or gate as long as anything you replace it with doesn’t increase its height.

If you live in a Conservation Area however, you may need planning permission to remove a fence, wall or gate.

If you’re looking to have domestic, commercial or agricultural fencing professionally installed, call us on 01865 863428 or 07900 938061 for a quote.

Released On 7th Jul 2016

You may also be interested in

  • Trading standards approved
  • Construction skills certification scheme
  • Oxford fencing supplies ltd
  • Payment methods - PayPal, MasterCard & Visa
  • Postsaver
  • Webb's building, timber & fencing
  • Durapost logo